Last week we were interviewed by The Denver Post about the movie It’s Complicated and the Ex issues the movie brings up. Nancy Meyer’s new movie It’s Complicated tells the story of a couple of Exes with benefits. Jane (Meryl Streep) finds herself having a steamy affair with a married man, Jake (Alec Baldwin). But Jake is not just any married man, he’s a married man she has been divorced from for ten years. We can help you understand the issues brought out by this film so you don’t have to suffer the same way these characters do in the movie. Here are some things to consider after seeing the movie:
• When you are lonely or haven’t been able to find someone to date, should you ever turn to your Ex? (Before the affair begins Jane’s friends advise her that if she “doesn’t want her vagina to close up she needs to date someone—anyone.”)
• The effects of drugs and alcohol on Ex interactions. (On the night their affair begins, Jane and Jake have each had a cocktail, shared three bottles of wine and had an after dinner drink. If I drank that much you’d have to take me to the hospital!)
• Why your Ex suddenly finds you SO attractive when you’ve finally moved on and why you’re willing to go along with it. (Jane’s affair begins just as Adam (Steve Martin) enters her life. Adam is a man that can really love her and appreciate her for who she is. And yet, she’s willing to sabotage this new relationship for her Ex who left her after nineteen years of marriage. Why?)
• Can men that have cheated ever be faithful? (Jake cheated on Jane ten years ago. Now, he is cheating on his wife with Jane.)
• Is it ever good to have sex with an Ex? (Jane is still trying to prove something to Jake but it’s Jake who should be proving something to Jane).
• Things to consider before getting back with an Ex. (Jake explains how he doesn’t want to “rock the boat” at home but when he stands up Jane for a date, she says, “now you’re rockin my boat and I don’t like it). It’s so easy to get that good feeling back with an Ex but it’s equally easy to get back to a really dark place you worked so hard to get out of.
• Take an inventory of how your interactions with your Ex affect vital people in your life—particularly your kids. (Jane and Jake’s affair negatively impacts their three children, Jake’s wife and stepson, and Jane’s burgeoning relationship with Adam).
• Resolving your Ex issues is a critical component to moving on. (Even after Jane ends the affair with Jake, Adam is reluctant to get involved with her. Adam gives his reason: “because your relationship with Jake isn’t really done and for everyone’s sake that should get resolved.”
Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Ex* helps you resolve all your Ex issues so that you can finally have the love you really want. In the movie, Jane says, “knowing how to be divorced is next to impossible.” She’s right! That’s why most people need Experts on Exes to help them through.